Monday, 27 February 2017

Genius Hour Post 5 + Learning Object - Haiku Deck

Welcome back!

It has been a while since I posted about my Genius Hour project! The infographic is looking, well, informative; I am adding my final details. My research on vitamin B12 is also progressing; slower than I would have hoped, but progress is progress.

Over the weekend, I volunteered at a sleep-away camp. The meals had lots of fruits and veggies, but for someone who doesn't eat meat, there weren't a lot of protein or iron-rich options. By Sunday, I did notice a difference in my energy and alertness levels, having not eaten too many of my usual foods, like nuts, beans, or leafy greens. I thought it was an interesting experience, seeing just how much our food can impact not only our overall health, but also our day-to-day functioning. I am getting myself back on track now that I'm home again. This "eating healthy" thing is definitely an on-going and very important endeavour!

-- 

During our exploration of technology tools today, I had the chance to learn about Haiku Deck. Essentially, it is a slideshow creation platform online that sources images and backgrounds from Creative Commons (no copyright infringements here!). According to sources like the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, Haiku Deck is an easy-to-use tool for creating visually appealing presentations in a fraction of the time it takes on traditional platforms.

I could easily see Haiku Deck being incorporated into a Genius Hour project. Either students could use it to present their findings, or the teacher could use it as a tool to present the project and guide students' learning. It would be most useful for visual learners and students who need text organized into manageable chunks. Also, Haiku Deck is usable on mobile, tablet, and desktop devices, making it more accessible for students.

Maybe for my next presentation, I will try creating a Haiku Deck; with the ability to embed videos, and the option to download and save the presentation, I can see it working really well for my purposes.

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment